I happened to be perusing The Product Review Place when I saw that Allison was looking for bloggers to review the product. At the same time, I heard a Truvia commercial come on. Sounds like fate, right? So naturally, I decided that I should review it. I've been curious; I wanted to try it. No harm, no foul. :)
If you've not heard of Truvia, it's a natural sweetener made from the leaves of the stevia plant and other natural products.
Some Truvia facts:
Truvia™ natural sweetener is made from rebiana, erythritol, and natural flavors:
- Rebiana comes from the leaves of the stevia plant, which was discovered more than 200 years ago in South America and has been used as a sweetener in various parts of the world for more than three decades. Truvia™ rebiana is different from most stevia sold today because it consists of only the best-tasting components of the stevia leaf.
- Erythritol is a sugar alcohol found naturally in various fruits such as grapes and melons. Erythritol is an all-natural, non-caloric sweetener, used as an ingredient that provides bulk for Truvia™ natural sweetener.
- Natural flavors are used to bring out the best of Truvia™ natural sweetener, like pepper or salt or any other spice that would be used to heighten the taste of food.
Some products that contain Truvia:
- Glaceau vitaminwater10™ and vitaminwater zero™
- Coca Cola Sprite® Green™
- Odwalla® Reduced-Calorie Quencher
- Kraft Crystal Light Pure Fitness
- True® Lemon Naturally Sweet
- Kraft Nature’s Splash®
- All Sport Naturally Zero™
- Hansen’s® Natural Lo-Cal Juices
- Blue Sky® Free sodas
- Minute Maid Premium® Pomegranate Tea
- Breyers YoCrunch® 100 Calorie Pack
- Velamints breath mints
- Dippin’ Dots© ice cream
HERE'S something that's VERY cool about it: It is perfectly safe for diabetics, because it does not raise or lower blood sugar!
Oh! and you know what else? It's kosher-certified!
And one more thing .. it has ZERO calories! Yep, you read that right. ZERO calories, as in nada, none, zip, zilch.
I don't use a LOT of sugar. But I DO drink coffee like a fiend! With sugar and cream. Which adds up to a lot of sugar and extra calories.
I've tried other sweeteners, which shall remain nameless. But they all have that "taste" ... do you know what I mean? That kinda yucky, not really sweet aftertaste. So, sugar it's been.
So I tried the Truvia in my coffee, apparently skipping over the part of the literature where it says one packet of Truvia sweetens equal to two packs of sugar - VERY sweet!
I tried again with just one packet - perfect! Not EXACTLY like sugar, but none of that yucky aftertaste either. I could get used to this!
AND I must always have sugar with my morning cereal:
Yes, it's muesli. Yes, I know ... why would ANYone eat a good-for-you cereal and ruin it's good effects by plying it with sugar? It's just me .. I must have some sort of sweetness over it .. usually two spoons of sugar. So once again, I tried one packet of Truvia. Perfect again! Now that I'm out of the box I was sent, I'll just have to pick some more up on one of my Target or Wal-Mart trips. You can also buy it at most local grocery stores and even at Whole Foods!
If YOU'D like to try it for yourself, Allison has generously offered one of you a chance to win your own box!
MANDATORY ENTRY: Visit the Truvia website. Go to their recipe section and tell me which recipe YOU'D most like to make with Truvia!
EXTRA ENTRIES (please leave a separate comment for each):
1. Follow Knitting and Sundries publicly on Google Friend Connect
New followers - 1 entry
Current followers (prior to this post) - 2 entries/comments
IMPORTANT: If you comment as a follower, PLEASE leave the name you follow under if it's different than the name you post under! If Random.org picks a comment number that states, "I'm a follower", I need to be able to verify it as the winner!
2. Follow me @jewelknits on Twitter (believe me, I don't Tweet often and I don't tweet repetitively, so you'll be OK!). Leave your Twitter handle in your comment.
3. Spread the word! Tweet (maximum of ONCE daily - include @jewelknits in the tweet. You can use this tiny URL too: http://tinyurl.com/2buba9f
4. Enter another one of my giveaways that are current at the time you post your entry comment. You can get one extra entry for each giveaway that you enter.
ALL ENTRIES: If your email address is not visible or public in your profile, please leave it in your comment like this: imacrazedmommy at whydidihavekids dot com . If I can't reach you, you can't win!
Eligibility: US only, 18 and older
End date: June 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM EST
I will pick a winner using Random.org. I will post the winner on the site AND send an email to the email address used to enter. The winner will then have 48 hours to reply with their mailing information; otherwise, a new winner will be picked. The email will be easy to spot; the subject line will begin "You WON on Knitting and Sundries"
Disclosure: I received complimentary product through my association with The Product Review Place to objectively review. No other form of compensation was received for this post, and I was not required to post a positive review.